I tried to stay away and not tweet or blog abut the Grammy’s. I figured there were enough experts out there offering their opinion. I tried, you gotta believe my I really did. I just couldn’t’ take it, when I saw people saying things like this……
“What ever happened to Nirvana?” (This guy wasn’t joking)
“I didn’t know Adele was British.”
“What band does Travis Barker drum for?”
At some point I got worked up and started keeping mental notes knowing that I had a good ole fashioned Grammy recap brewing inside of me for the markartrip.com audience. Its feels like 2005 around these parts, but I want to keep my blog light at times and a shallow post about pop culture should be just the trick.
- My wife told me before the show that CBS made rules about the dresses women could wear this year. They wanted the show to be appropriate and stay classy. Having watched, its clear no one listened and the only thing that made it better than last year was that Lady Gaga wasn’t around.
- I almost can’t handle the way CBS and the Grammy’s “partner” together. Its one thing for them to pretend the people’s choice awards are a real show and than just give awards to all of their shows, but they are getting too involved in the Grammys. I mean we all know that LL Cool J is a terrible host and comes across like a bad Tracy Morgan character.
- Faith Hill has braces? She is now going to be skinnier (because she can’t eat normal) and prettier than ever. We are fans of her around our house so no disrespect. She may take over the world now.
- Rihanna looked rough. She’s talented but I honestly worry about her. She is the one from this generation I am afraid will end of up on a bad episode of Behind the Music.
- If you didn’t notice, Justin Bieber wasn’t there. According to his team he got “snubbed”. I think he is the one who snubbed us after he promised a “Justin Timberlake level” album. That is a promise you shouldn’t make. He tried to pull viewers away and did a live stream chat tonight at the same time.
- Speaking of Justin Timberlake, he was perfection. I know I’m a fan-boy, but he owned the night and the psychology of stepping away just long enough to do some acting and create demand around himself is brilliant.
- I got like 10 texts as he was performing. People acting like I was the only one liking it…you liked it too, just admit it.
- Carrie Underwood was on point too. She didn’t do anything special she just did a good performance that showcased her vocals. She didn’t do some weird medley that took away from things and didn’t over think the fact that she can impress with her voice. Its not rocket science but most don’t do that.
- Frank Ocean, was not that smart. He has some great songs, but he is always performing them weird and not making them accessible to the mass that watched this show. That is why sometimes other people do his songs better than him. Look up “thinking about you” covers on YouTube. He was this years Nicki Minaj, who was given the platform last year and wasted it.
- Fun…..meh? I know the songs are catchy, but I am over them. I feel like they are a slightly better version of Train.
- Zac Brown Band country album of the year. I can live with that. Every song on that album is good. Josh Howard proved that to me and he is right.
- Kelly Clarkson finally won an award. I was starting to think she wouldn’t get up there. Her speech was even entertaining….or maybe drunk?
- The dream, Frank Ocean, Kanye, and Jay won an award….and Jay Z and the Dream had no business on stage together dressed different so Jay through his own artist under the bus saying “he’d like to thank the swap meet for the Dream’s hat”…..I’m ok with that.
- The Maroon 5/Alicia Keys mash-up was actually great. I didn’t know these forced collaborations were allowed to work and sound good. Someone should tell the Grammy’s or the other artists that. Someone should definitely tell Miranda Lambert and Dierks Bentley. They thought you were supposed to make it looked forced and more boring than normal. Respect.
- Its cool to see the Black Keys get love. They have been taking Grammy’s for 3 years not but I when Lebron tweets about you, you are officially cool.
- Before I forget, Taylor Swift opened the show….and didn’t deliver. You got to stay in your lane and wearing a top hat while a circus goes on behind you, without a guitar in your hand didn’t make you look like the world power that you have become. She wasn’t bad but when you are that big an 8 out of 10 is a letdown.
- The thing that is funny about the Grammy’s is how some of us are oblivious to certain genres even though people are already famous and making good money and being successful. I learn about someone new every year (usually folk/rock) and apparently I should have told my wife about Miguel sooner.
- What do you have to do to overcome the term “Ginger” and its stereotypes? Just be as awesome as Ed Shereen. No one even knows he is a redhead. That guy is on top of the world.
- Didn’t see Mumford winning album of the year. Mostly because I expected to see Fun be the hands down darlings of the night, but that was a good win. No problem seeing them get some love, and they seemed to be humbled.
- The closing song with Chuck D, LL and the rest was incredibly bad. It always is and usually has like 10 artists on stage all pretending to play acoustic while singing in mics that aren’t even on, so I shouldn’t expect much….but wow it was painful.
- I love music, I love the Grammy’s, it was a great night, super entertaining, and was the best show in at least 4-5 years I would say.
- What did you think?