I recently asked on my twitter and facebook what people wanted me to blog about and a few suggested “getting attacked” or “taking criticism”. I haven’t been in ministry forever but I have been at this long enough to take a bullet or two so I thought I would write my…
Top 5 tips for dealing with critics.
- Pray-Your first reaction will be to gossip or defend yourself by fighting back. Resist this and stop what you are doing and pray. Sounds so cheesy and religious but it is so necessary so that Satan doesn’t get a foothold. He would love to cause division in the Body of Christ between people.
- Consider the source-You are always going to take attacks, but you have to know if it is someone who has the right to speak into your life and ministry. I am not encouraging arrogance and thinking that you are above confrontation or correction, but you have to make sure it is someone who deserves the platform.
- Confront things in person-not email or phone-If this person has a problem with you no matter how you found out (facebook, gosseip) it is your job as a believer to make it right. Confront this head on and try to resolve it. Don’t email back or text. Talk in person and handle it as it deserves.
- Make sure that you are not being taken out of context or misunderstood-Many misunderstandings are simply because people misunderstood you, your vision, or your motives. When you are face to face with people and clarifying what upset them you will find that many things are misunderstandings.
- Attacks always come from pain-This is one of the greatest things I think my lead pastor is great to teach and remind. When people attack you it can be because they are let down or upset with you, but more often than not you are just the one they are taking out other frustration on. A parent could be mad that there kid doesn’t go to church and it is your fault for making the youth group “boring” or “not inviting them”. This is just like someone who hates their job and comes home and kicks their cat. Don’t take it personal, you are a shepherd and you may have to absorb some kicks to get to their real life pain.