Anyone who has been immersed in week to ministry whether paid or not can tell you that sometimes it is nice to take a breath and go to church without any pressure or responsibilities. Today I had that privilege. Our friend Rachel who we are staying with has attended Christ Fellowship for a couple years. A little over a year ago she helped them launch their 5th campus in West Kendall. This campus meets in a movie theatre. I have studied churches that do this, read the blogs of their pastors, and seen the pictures and videos, but until today had never attended one. Here are my thoughts..
- I was blown away by how easy this whole process was. This church has a couple different places that they store things and it didn’t seem to inconvenience the theatre in anyway.
- Not everyone has it as easy as this church, but it actually made me wonder why some churches ever build buildings.
- As an American I feel like I am programmed to like church in a theatre more. Some people pay to try and make their sanctuary a theatre, but here it was already done and worked pretty seamlessly.
- I learned that they pay their worship leader but the two campus pastors are volunteers with full time jobs during the week.
- Their children’s area was well put together. Obviously portable, but secure and creative.
- Again, there student service naturally had much of the atmosphere that we had to pay to create in our room.
- The worship was good, from band to sound, to lights.
- Guest services got me everything I needed and more.
- The X-factor was that I had so many nice people introduce themselves to me and go out of their way to shake our hands and say “hi”. They could have had great signs, a cool logo, and awesome lights and graphics, but stopped at that. It was good to see a ministry mindset from the people and be personally greeted by the two campus pastors even though the church is fairly large.