Just thought I would throw the summer trip applications on here in case anyone cared……..
• Two quotes that should tell you how tonight went.
• “No matter what you do you cannot thwart God’s plans.” This is what I kept telling myself as all the plans I made seemed to cave in and I wondered what our Wednesday night was.
• “Why is it that you seem to learn the same lessons over and over”-Me explaining that even though I blogged just a few weeks ago about learning I am not in control, God clearly needs me to continue to remember that.
• CE Ambassadors were in the house and were a bright spot. Even though circumstances were not in their favor, they quickly and efficiently focused our night on discipleship and the need for others to encourage us and walk beside us as we see God work. They saved the night.
• Leadership is a stewardship…..I feel like I am flunking stewardship right now:)
THE MISSION: Think of 25 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically shaped your world.
MY TAKE: I tried to remember all the big ones, but I am sure I forgot some. I put some greatest hits albums at the end to cover my mistakes and help me cop out.
Obviously there could be more but oh well
1. Michael Peace-Vigilante of Hope
2. DC Talk-Nu Thang
3. Color Me Badd-C.M.B.
4. Garth Brooks-No Fences
5. DC Talk-Free at Last
6. Out of Eden-Loving the Day
7. Tim McGraw-All I Want
8. DC Talk-Jesus Freak
9. Boyz II Men-II
10. Cross Movement-House of Representatives
11. Grits-Grammatical Revolution
12. Craig David-Born to Do It.
13. Out of Eden-This is Your Life
14. John Mayer-Room for Squares
15. Daniel Bedingfield-Gotta Get Through This
17. Kanye West-The College Dropout
18. Ne-yo-In My Own Words
19. Justin Timberlake-Futuresex/Lovesounds
20. Brad Paisley-Mud on the Tires
21. Beach Boys-Sounds of Summer Greatest Hits
22. The Temptations-Greatest Hits
23. Elvis Presley-Number 1’s
24. Michael Jackson-Number Ones
25. Mariah Carey-Greatest Hits
Lately I have been thinking about strengths and weaknesses.
We all have strengths and for better or worse some people will interpret that your strengths makes you weak in another area.
The class clown will never be the one people go to for life advice, people will assume he can’t be serious. This isn’t a bad thing; they will help someone work through a tough time with a joke just as much as the person who will cry with them, but it is a different gift.
Athletes will never be considered smart. Does that mean that Magic Johnson can’t have a second career after he retires from basketball? No, but it means he has to capitalize on his great smile and likeable image rather than trying to convince America that he can host a late night TV show or run for governor.
A church that grows fast will be seen as only caring about numbers and not individuals, while a small church will be perceived to have a close nit atmosphere but not be evangelistic.
You can apply it to any field or job, but People will always assume that your strengths make you weak in other areas.
My thought is that to be great in an area and make it your strength, you will have to come to grips with the tension of it correctly or incorrectly drawing attention to a real or perceived weakness.
Am I aware of my perceived weakness?
It is true?
Am I addressing it?
Is that ok? Some like Marcus Buckingham make a ton of money saying to just focus on your strengths?
• This weekend I spoke for the Grace Church (Lititz, PA) high school retreat at Camp Joy-El in Greencastle, PA.
• My friend Doug is the youth pastor there.
• It is cool to see how God is using your friends and the way students are being influenced by them.
• It was awesome to get out and speak to a new group.
• The topic was purity. I have never said the word sex so much in all my lifeJ
• Haven’t really done a ton of guest speaking stuff. I will never be some traveling speaker, but I want to get better at gauging a group on the fly of people that I don’t know.
• I was gone from my church today and can’t wait to hear what went down.
• Ironically enough I am going back to Camp Joy-El in 2 weeks to speak for Grace Community Church (Frederick, MD) student retreat.
• I took the family this weekend (which I am committed to do) but Malachi made it interesting with his new friend explosive diarrhea. He had to change outfits 3 times on the trip out alone and stretched it from 5 hours to 7.5 hours. It was the first time I have seen Kristin gag:)
EDIT: I forgot to mention that we drove over the Fretz’s house (since they live nearby) and hung out with our good friends Josh and Lexi. They are fun…and Josh made me cookies.
I was recently added to alltop.com. If you don’t know what that is “Alltop is an “online magazine rack” of popular topics. We update the stories every hour. Readers can pick a topic by searching, news category, or name, and we’ll deliver it to you 24 x 7.”
There is a church section featuring many pastors and ministry blogs so you can check me and some others out by clicking here.